Saturday, June 14, 2014

Drinking That Koolaid

Yeah, I know. Crossfit gets either a bad rap nowadays, or it's praised as the second coming of sliced bread. Either way you look at it, I'm a part of it now and have been for a year. 

It was a year ago, almost exactly, when I started. Since then, I've taken two strongman seminars, two weightlifting seminars, a rowing seminar, I've competed in three events now, I've placed on the podium of two of those events(both scaled), and I've run more than I care to mention. 

I've ripped both my hands open. I've accidentally dropped 165 lbs on my back when missing a snatch. I've puked twice. I've lost the ability to walk after trying to deadlift too fast with poor form and I've matched every single one of my lifts from my powerlifting days. 

People want to talk about the cult like community of Crossfit and that's fine. They're right. I hang out with my gym friends a lot more than other people and I'm okay with that. I also hang out with people who give zero fucks about the gym, so I don't talk about it with them. No problem. 

I'm enjoying it. I really am. And I'm going to keep at it. I've entered my first RX competition in August and my first weightlifting competition in July. I'm going to keep lifting the way I want to and following the advice of my dedicated coaching staff. And I'm going to love every second of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment